Vulvar itching can be very uncomfortable and embarrassing for those living with it. While the cause of vulvar itching often varies, common triggers include allergies, yeast infections, and irritants like soaps or perfumes.
What are the causes of vulvar itching?
There are many potential causes of vulvar itching, including:
- Vulvar skin conditions, such as lichen sclerosus
- Vulvar atrophy (thinning of the skin due to a decrease in testosterone and estrogen)
- Contact sensitivity to irritants or allergens, such as detergents, soaps, or feminine products
- Recurrent vulvar infections, such as STIs, bacterial vaginosis, or yeast infection
- Chronic irritation due to scratching (lichen simplex chronicus)
- Hormonal changes
- Tight clothing
- Certain medications
- Skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis
- Poor hygiene habits
- Alteration in vaginal pH