Gastrointestinal diseases affect the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, causing inflammation. These may be functional, such as when the GI tract looks normal when examined but doesn't move properly.
Causes of GI dysfunction
Some of the common causes of GI dysfunction that lead to pelvic pain include:
- Inflammation in the digestive tract
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Intestinal dysbiosis or an imbalance in beneficial bacteria in the gut
- Functional constipation
- Neurological disorders such as nerve damage or fibromyalgia
- Lifestyle factors like stress or lack of exercise
- Medications such as antibiotics and hormones
All of these can cause inflammation in the GI system, leading to pelvic pain.